School of Science and Technology Discovery follows the state law TAC §89.1201 and identify English Language Learners (ELLs) and provide them a full opportunity to participate in a ESL program, as required in the TEC, Chapter 29, Subchapter B.
To ensure equal educational opportunity, as required in the TEC, §1.002(a), our campus will:
(1) Identify ELLs based on criteria established by the state;
(2) Provide bilingual education/English as a Second Language program, as integral parts of the regular program as described in the TEC, §4.002;
(3) Seek certified teaching personnel to ensure that ELLs are afforded full opportunity to master the essential knowledge and skills required by the state; and
(4) Assess achievement for essential knowledge and skills in accordance with the TEC, Chapter 39, to ensure accountability for ELLs and the schools that serve them
It is the mission of the ESL program in HPS to provide ELLs with second language instruction that will promote English language development and enable them to participate equitably in both social and academic settings.
It is the vision of the ESL program to equip the ELLs with the language skills and strategies that will help them become productive, successful and responsible members of society.
- In the content-based option, an ESL certified full-time teacher provides supplementary instruction for all content area classes in a structured, non-threatening environment.
- In the pull-out option, ELLs spend part of the day in their mainstream classroom and are pulled out for a portion of each day to receive specialized instruction by a certified ESL teacher in a small group setting.
- High school: